funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Government to Ask Courts to Toss Phone

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:06:22 -0500

On 6/12/06, coderman <coderman () gmail com> wrote:

i'm not sure i get this question; are you saying that a grandmother or
a small child would never be used to carry weapons by proxy?  i agree
that the odds are rediculously slim, but anything that plays by known
odds can be gamed by those odds.

The odds are slim to the point of these searches being, at best, a
waste of time. At worst, naturally, they may be a distraction from the
stereotypical guy wearing big shoes. If they hold to an "unbiased",
every fourth passenger (or whatever)...

i haven't flown in years and continue to refuse to do so, thus i'm
probably not the best person to ask about airline security tactics.
i'll let Bruce Schneier describe the ways most "security" implemented
these days is for theatrical enjoyment only.

I don't fly either - probably for some of the same reasons, and
additionally because they prevent my ability to ever protect myself in
case of another hijacking! However, I did let my daughter go on a trip
with a friend to Florida and we had to get a non-DL ID so that she
could board the plane!!!! This isn't Vietnam, and my 12 year old
daughter doesn't look a thing like a Muslim/extremist/terrorist.