funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Government to Ask Courts to Toss Phone

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:00:39 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Lindsey, Ben J wrote:

Folks,

  I gotta ask a quick (ok, long) question for you folks, there is just
something I guess I don't quite get.  Please don't think I'm being
adversarial - I'm just confused, perhaps even ignorant.  Here goes:

  When it comes to tapping international phone calls that the
"government" (whoever that may be) feels are made to/from possible
terrorists, I have to admit this doesn't particularly bother me.  I
consider that it's a time of war and if it ever puts me out in some
manner, it's the least I can do.

I question whether we're at war.

In a rhetorical sense (the war on drugs, the war on poverty), then I can
see it. But in the sense of armed conflict?

I'm very much reminded by the war between Eurasia (them) and Oceania (us)
with the personification of the enemy in Goldstein (bin Laden). This war
will, of course last for ever (I refer to Orwell's war, of course, or do
I?) and is used to justify ever-increasing suppression of the people of
Oceania (and Airstrip One in particular).

Korea - now that was a war, even though we called it a "police action".
What we're in now, is a police action, even though it's being called a
"war", a fine example of newspeak.