funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Government to Ask Courts to Toss Phone

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:34:16 -0500

On 6/12/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

Please help me understand how you can see that the "war on drugs" is a
war and not the "war on terrorism".

I don't think that the "war on drugs" is a war. It's only a war in a
rhetorical sense. I did say that. like "the war on poverty". It's a
metaphor, it isn't supposed to be a literal war.

Really? Tell that to the Colombians. They're pretty sure they're
fighting a war. Our SWAT teams are used almost exclusively for drug
law enforcement and with every year that passes they become more like
a military special ops group than any kind of LEO outfit imagined.
Actually, I'd say they've taken it to the hilt now and there isn't any
difference.