funsec mailing list archives

Re: turn in your knives!

From: Andrew <andrewwilly () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:00:05 -0700

Chris Buechler wrote:
Obviously disarmament doesn't work. You should read what your own media has to say about it.

a few snippets:
"The failure of this general disarmament to stem, or even slow, armed and violent crime could not be more blatant."

"Much is made of the higher American rate for murder. That is true and has been for some time. But as the Office of Health Economics in London found, not weapons availability, but "particular cultural factors" are to blame.

A study comparing New York and London over 200 years found the New York homicide rate consistently five times the London rate, although for most of that period residents of both cities had unrestricted access to firearms."

"You are now six times more likely to be mugged in London than New York."
I think Chris is right on with the quote in his message --- *"particular cultural factors"*.

Guns facilitate murder, they make it easier, they make it more accessible to the cowards and invalids that may otherwise avoid violence. That said, I don't think fewer guns has much, if anything, to do with less gun violence in England than in America. There simply is just less violence in England altogether. The English are admirable in this and many other respects.

Perhaps the English have been being English for so long they've learned to get along. They surely don't seem to endure the rampant gang violence like in our inner cities that account for a great deal of the gun-involved homicides in the United States. Or maybe it's that the English are still too weary from colonizing the Earth a few centuries ago and waging war on whomever was around to fight one. I'm certain that when the time to venture to Mars arrives, the refreshed British will be the first to plant a flag and stomp the lights out of any aboriginal Martian peoples, afterward to return and lecture about the benefits of peaceful living.

Whatever the case, if there any good that can come of all this, it is that it gives Dr. Solly something to write to us about. His patient description of backwards Yankee ways is as illuminating as a Sun, although a dim one, maybe one very far away, on a cloudy night, no, a blizzard, in a building in a blizzard, covered with cement and buried 300 meters from the Earth's core, blindfolded and wearing a lead helmet.
Andrew
*

*