funsec mailing list archives

Re: turn in your knives!

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 23:15:55 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 5/24/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

  Does anyone actually think this is a GOOD thing to do?

Yes. It costs very little to do, and you get a lot of
knives-used-as-weapons off the streets. It would, of course, be pointless
in America, where the kids use guns.

What might you base that on? According the to Home Office's latest
report (that I found - 01/02) homicides with guns are equal to or
higher than they were in 98 (the last "amnesty" for guns was THREE
years ago). Therefore there is NO reason to believe this amnesty - or
the ban - will have any impact on the crimes committed with knives
(homicides being chief among them).

Gun homicide rate, per million population

USA       44.6
England    0.8

You keep your guns and shoot each other, it's no skin off my nose. We'll
hang on to our freedom, thank you very much.

As I told you before, and you casually fluffed off because "your ban"
has worked so well, only law-abiding citizens obey laws - criminals,
by definition do NOT.

Why do you think that? Criminals obey most laws. If they didn't, they'd be
spending most of their lives in prison. They choose carefully which laws
to break.

So, the penalty for armed burglary is so much greater than for burglary,
that people contemplating burglary dont carry guns. At least, they don't
in England - I guess they do in the USA. So, as I said, you Americans can
go on shooting each other; we'll go on living.