funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: knife ban going to work?

From: "Jarrod Frates" <jfrates.ml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:10:31 -0700

On 5/24/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
We don't expect it to stop murders. But our murder rate is a tiny fraction
of yours. And that's something that you're jealous of.

It was a small fraction *before* the gun ban.  Through much of the
United States, the murder rate is much closer to (though still
somewhat higher than) that of much of Western Europe.  Poorer
neighborhoods, however, tend to have very high levels of crime,
including murder, and since our "poor" areas can encompass tens or
even hundreds of thousands of people, the aggregate numbers can change
significantly.