funsec mailing list archives

RE: How's this for fun?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:03:25 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

I wholly disagree with this as well.  If I have a mailing list with 2million
people on it, I should be able to send 2 million messages within an hour.
I'm paying for a pipe, that is all.  IMHO they have no right to limit my
usage in any way shape or form.  They do by upload speed.  Right now at home
I only have 400k upload, that would limit the amount of messages I could
send to that 2million person mailing list.

  Why should I have to pay more just because some idiots send spam to 10's
of millions of people and I only want to operate my Crochet hobby list?  I'm
already paying for the pipe, and certain speed up/down.  The speed should be
the limit, not the number of mail messages I send....

Why dont you feel the same way about telephone calls and surface mail
letters?

An ISP has the right to offer a contract that bills you partly by
bandwidth, partly by number of emails sent, if they want to. No-one has
the right to dictate the pricing structure of a company, the only right
you have, is to decide to accept their offer or not.