funsec mailing list archives

Re: The end of Phishing in sight?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:39:27 -0700

Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:
  If we, the security community, could design and build the securest online
bank, what would we use?

If I have to work within the limitation that end-users are pretty gullible, and will fall for things like phishing emails and bad or missing SSL, then I'm pretty screwed.

However, even with that, here's my best attempt given 60 seconds, off the top of my head:

Give the user a USB device that can do challenge-response, has the bank's cert built into it, and checks the signed challenge from the bank. User has to hit a button or maybe provide a fingerprint to activate it. Token has its own private key. Maybe give it some extra brains, and have it be able to keep a counter as well, to preclude rollback attacks. Maybe give it lots of brains, and have it do the processing in the token.

In other words, a cut-down in-token version of Palladium. The key points are:

-Challenge-response (helps with some limited flavors of MITM)
-Checks SSL cert on its own (can't skip, or fake a different cert)
-Doesn't give the user a chance to click "yes, ignore the warning, let me see the dancing pigs" -Requires physical user presence to activate (to guard against remote attacker-drive activation)
-Important calculations are done in a (hopefully) secure piece of hardware.

At this point, I *think* you have to compromise the user's box for a technical attack. of course, a good local rootkit, and the user is still vulnerable to attack.

                                        Ryan