funsec mailing list archives

RE: The end of Phishing in sight?

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:12:58 -0400

 Two factor is certainly a step in the right direction.  But if it's not the
be-all end-all, what better methods "could" we use?

  If we, the security community, could design and build the securest online
bank, what would we use?

  Anything I think of are all susceptible to MITM attacks at the least.  I
feel that 2 factor auth is pretty good.  Not perfect, but certainly better
than a straight UN/PW, it won't stop identity theft, as the theif can still
successfully phish for SSN's and other information and assume a victim's
identity, but at least their 1.98 in the bank will be safe for a little
while....

 Mike B

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, MCSE, MCP+I
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580
email:  Blanchard_Michael () EMC COM