Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: No anti-virus software? No internet connection

From: "Cor Rosielle" <cor () outpost24 com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:42:08 +0200

...snip...
The product that fail miserably, throughout the year(s?) should be
declared "unfit for purpose" .......like an expired food which is
harmful for health.

Basically it is an interesting thought. I see a challenge though. Is 3
failures per year miserable? Or should we raise the limit to 10? Or lower it
to 1? You get the point. The criteria to determine if a product fails
miserably is not a fact, but a decision.
Comparing it with expired food: I throw away food before the expiration date
because I can see the fungus on it and decide it is not safe to eat it. On
the other hand I consume food way after the expiration date because it is
perfectly fine food. This error margin is caused by the statistics behind
the expiration date: be on the safe side and prefer the chance to throw away
good food than the chance to accept bad food.

If its a "technological problem" overall, maybe they should move to
application white-listing or something better.......

Sure, awareness and thinking is better. But some people don't think and than
"technological measures" is about all the protection they really have.

thanks,
-bipin

Cor