Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: not telling enough - ethics

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:24:50 +0000

dictionary.com says of "ethics":

  + A set of principles of right conduct
  + A theory or a system of moral values

"Right conduct" and "moral values" depend on context and conditions,
they aren't absolute. Today, the ethics of publicly traded
corporations are easy to sum up: make as much money as possible
right now. That's it. The future is someone else's problem. The
phrase "responsibility to our investors" is used in the same way as
"I was just following orders".

We, as security professionals, can and should model our own behavior
on our own ethics; expecting companies to follow ethics that are
palatable to us is unrealistic.

-Bennett