Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: new ssh exploit?

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:55:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Bennett Todd wrote:

2003-09-16T11:25:47 Ron DuFresne:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, christopher neitzert wrote:
1. upgrade to lsh.

But, one has to remember ssh does not stand alone, at least openssh, it
needs openssl to be properly maintained as well.

Another incentive to ditch openssh altogether. lsh seems to work
fine. At last.

lsh doesn't use openssl. It is a completely different code base from
the other sshes.

Interesting.  Don't see many posts from you these day Bennett, good to see
you live <smile>.  Got a pointer?  I'd seek out myselfm, but have a huge
project that's eating me up at present.  SSH and openssl is fast heading
down the upgrade,patch,upgrade,patch scenerio of sendmail and wu_ftpd in
the 90's.

It's ssh v2 only; I think that's a transition whose time has come.

This I will agree to fully, though, since we see the R* commands persist,
and ftpd refuses to die, the list goes on. Don;t a number of appliances
also use ssh1 and are not upgradeable?

But, yes, ssh1 should have died a year or 4 ago <smile>>

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html