Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: new ssh exploit?

From: christopher neitzert <chris () neitzert com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:48:34 -0400

More on this;

The systems in question are FreeBSD, RedHat, Gentoo, and Debian all
running the latest versions of OpenSSH.

The attack makes an enormous amount of ssh connections and attempts
various offsets until it finds one that works permitting root login.

I have received numerous messages from folks requesting anonymity or
direct-off-list-reply confirming this exploit;

The suggestions I have heard are:

Turn off SSH and

1. upgrade to lsh.

or

2. add explicit rules to your edge devices allowing ssh from only-known
hosts.

or

3. put ssh behind a VPN on RFC-1918 space.

thanks.