Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: new ssh exploit?

From: Cael Abal <lists () onryou com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:44:00 -0400

SSH over VPN ? whould this be more secure or Telnet ( no i dont use this ) over VPN

Good morning Aditya,

Although I can't find any sources other than this at the moment, it's commonly understood that a significant number of malicious behaviour originates within an organization's internal network -- that is, your users are the bad guys. The article referenced below says 35%, but I have no idea where they got that number.

http://lists.insecure.org/lists/isn/2000/Jan/0011.html

That being the case, consider that VPNs only protect you across the public (untrusted) network. Once you hit your internal (untrusted) network, telnet sessions would be in the clear.

take care,

Cael

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html