Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: Rijndael

From: Steve Poirot <poirotsj () info-integrity com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:09:58 -0800

There were some requirements concerning the algorithm's ability to run in confined environments, with regard to both memory and processing power. I believe the ability or run on a smart card was one of the concerns. Here's a link to a report on the selection process, including how the various algorithm's came out against the original evaluation criteria: http://csrc.nist.gov/CryptoToolkit/aes/round2/r2report.pdf

Ben Laurie wrote:

Timmah wrote:

Yes, it was, Belgian or Indian, I think.  I didn't mention it becuse I
couldn't remember how to spell it ;)

But since it's now the US's AES standard, who knows how strong it is...
The designers are Belgian (Flemish).  Not to denigrate them or their work,
I believe that it was not the strongest of the five AES finalists, and
this was demonstrated during the last few months before selection.  You
can interpret that however you want.

There were other factors in the selection process, not just cryptographic
strength. And some weaknesses have been fixed later.
I maintain that the AES selection committee didn't weight factors sanely.
Overall security of algorithms in different modes of operation should have
been a deal-breaking factor and it was instead sacrificed for speed and
other considerations.  That is just a fact.

IIRC, a key criterion was key scheduling speed. Forgive me for being
suspicious, but that sounds to me like "we'd like brute force to be
efficient, please".

Cheers,

Ben.