Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: Rijndael

From: Ben Laurie <ben () algroup co uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:07:50 +0100

Timmah wrote:

Yes, it was, Belgian or Indian, I think.  I didn't mention it becuse I
couldn't remember how to spell it ;)

But since it's now the US's AES standard, who knows how strong it is...

The designers are Belgian (Flemish).  Not to denigrate them or their work,
I believe that it was not the strongest of the five AES finalists, and
this was demonstrated during the last few months before selection.  You
can interpret that however you want.

There were other factors in the selection process, not just cryptographic
strength. And some weaknesses have been fixed later.

I maintain that the AES selection committee didn't weight factors sanely.
Overall security of algorithms in different modes of operation should have
been a deal-breaking factor and it was instead sacrificed for speed and
other considerations.  That is just a fact.

IIRC, a key criterion was key scheduling speed. Forgive me for being
suspicious, but that sounds to me like "we'd like brute force to be
efficient, please".

Cheers,

Ben.

--