Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: [ISN] DARPA pulls OpenBSD funding

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:18:02 -0500

But that's his privilege. If he chooses to express his thoughts in that way, he has every right to do so. That's precisely what freedom is.

--On Saturday, April 19, 2003 11:11:09 AM +0200 yossarian <yossarian () planet nl> wrote:

Thank you.  I'm so sick and tired of hearing the cry of "McCarthyism"
from celebrities who have spoken out against the war and are now
suffering from boycotts of their products.  Get over it.  You had the
right to say what you want.  And we have the right to not buy your
stupid records, movies, whatever.

It's *free* speech, *not* speech without consequences.  Ask Senator Trent
Lott if there is a price for speech.  I didn't hear any of the anti-war
celebrities complain about that.

True words, indeed, say what you like but face the consequences. But it is
getting a bit awkward - one of my customers decided not to use any
american computer stuff any more, ever. This means Linux stuff on funny
brands of (taiwanese and french) hardware. I am OK with that for desktop
and server environment (Corel is canadian), and a lot cheaper, but for
the WAN part it is getting really hard. Anyway, underneath it is probably
US anyway. Another customer decided to get rid of american crypto
software, since he is afraid of economic espionage by No such 'n such
Agency, helping his us based competitors. The Brussels incident didn't
really help here.These politically motivated discussions are raising the
cost of computing, i guess.

yossarian

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer