IDS mailing list archives

Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: "David W. Goodrum" <dgoodrum () nfr com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:59:31 -0500

I don't think there's a whole lot of research spent by any IPS vendor on creating a good subseven decoder. It's so old and easy to detect, there's little need. Protocol decoding becomes important when you're talking about a legitimate protocol (not subseven, which is a horrible example). Decoding HTTP 1.0/1.1, SMTP, FTP, IRC, etc, becomes extremely important in catching zero day attacks. You second statement about ease of querying data baffles me a bit. I don't think any of the vendors, that we consider to be competition, make anybody write details SQL statements to get to the data. If you're using the product(s) as intended, most vendors will provide a warm fuzzy GUI so that you can quickly data mine whatever data you have. i.e. "show me everything against port 80 from 10.0.0.0/20 in the last 2 weeks" should be a simple point and click routine. If it's not, you're either using the wrong product, or using the product incorrectly. NFR uses a postgreSQL database at the backend... but our clients aren't required to know anything about how to configure postgreSQL. I believe ISS uses MS SQL, but I doubt they make you understand the intricacies of that database either. This type of logic is probably true for most real IPS players in the market today.

-dave

Mark Teicher wrote:

Again, most people compare IDS/IPS vendor for the number of signatures they have in the product and the ability to add
them on their own.  Great stuff, interesting, but some IDS/IPS vendors do more than just pattern matching.  This reply
is to re-ignite the argument between pattern matching and protocol decodes.  But how many
SubSeven signatures does one really need?  If I observe a SubSeven attack, it is nice to see the granularity, but the difference in the pattern
is very little, essentially it is a SubSeven attack, whether it is real or not, that is for the person to determine, etc.  Whether or not a IDS
vendor provides the ability to add signatures is irrelevant, some products have the ability to detect unknowns before there is an update to the
product.  Some customers get the warm and fuzzies when they can see "CODE RED" or "SASSER" in their reports, but that
doesn't improve the product any better.  What really is needed in most of the products out there, is the ability to query data without
learning the ins and outs of SQL queries or futzing with Oracle Client to extract the data that is meaningful.