IDS mailing list archives

Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: Andre Ludwig <andre.ludwig () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:03:00 -0500

I would also like to add this simple question (and answer) to the mix.

What is the best way to evade an IDS?

Knowing what it looks for...

Open sigs for an IDS/IPS does more harm then good (for the majority) IMO.

IE a SKILLED attacker wants to attack my network, and i use an ids
that has an open sig set.   Via posts on various mailing lists the
attacker has worked up a probability matrix of what products are being
used for IDS/IPS.  So happens that those products have an open
signature set.  Now all the attacker has to do is look at what those
systems deficiencies are (be it from a technical stand point, be it
from a sig stand point) and modify his attack to circumvent the
product that is put in place.

Those opens sigs sure did help in evading the protection put in place.

The best option IMO is having a skilled R&D team who is on the edge of
what is out there, a closed signature set, and the ABILITY to add your
own SIGNATURES from other sources (be it snort based rules only or
snort based rules + vendor based rule framework).   All of a sudden
you then have the best of both worlds.

Oh and simple pattern matching is crap, there needs to be an
abstraction layer above the pattern matching that says "apply this
pattern if the following criteria have been meet  {syn syn ack syn ack
*pattern* rst}" or something along those lines that are exploit
specific, be it flow information or protocol level flags or features.

Andre

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:06:02 -0800, Andrew Plato