IDS mailing list archives

Re: on NIDS/NIPS tuning

From: Brent Stackhouse <brentstackhouse () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:36:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Anton,

Yup, I always tune, whether using ISS, Cisco, or
McAfee.  Don't see how you can avoid it and still get
what you want.  Even when using a SIM with Cisco IPS,
I still have to make sure the "right" signatures are
enabled, since Cisco's sig updates don't enable all of
them by default (and I may pick different ones to
enable than Cisco did).  A SIM doesn't change that
step, at least not the Cisco MARS product I've been
using recently.

Brent Stackhouse, GSEC/GCIH