IDS mailing list archives

RE: on NIDS/NIPS tuning

From: "Joshua Berry" <jberry () PENSON COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:41:29 -0500

I tune my IDS sensors for rules that are giving me too many
false-positives, and for any vulnerability or security threat that isn't
addressed with the current rule-set.  I try to go over my rule-set and
configuration every couple of months.

Other than that, I have written a script that I can context.pl that
imports data from nessus scans and p0f profiles (data from these tools
are imported into a database by some custom scripts) and uses that
information to configure some of the variables and rules to attempt to
provide context for the system.  It is somewhat of a hacked together
"poor-mans" attempt at RNA.