IDS mailing list archives

RE: on NIDS/NIPS tuning

From: "Kohlenberg, Toby" <toby.kohlenberg () intel com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:42:25 -0700

I'd suggest that IDS(ips) tuning is still essential. Not only do
rules/sigs
need to be tuned but new sigs/rules need to be added to fit your
environment.

Where to tune is a very good question and not easily answered. I
generally
try to tune on the sensor first and on the SIM second. The idea being
that I
want to decrease the work the sensor has to do rather than just ignore
it.

That said, it's only reasonable to do that if you can be confident of
reducing
false positives without increasing false negatives at the same time.

toby