IDS mailing list archives

Re: on NIDS/NIPS tuning

From: Raffael Marty <rmarty () arcsight com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:24:14 -0700

David,

[Dislaimer: I work for a SIM vendor]

I think today's SIMs should address your needs:

I am curious to know what SIM product can handle un-tuned IDS alerts in
addition to firewall logs, server logs, and application logs.

If they provide an agent to parse those logs, this should not be a
problem. I can only speak for my company where we have agents for all
these types of sources and more (e.g., AV)

How accurate is the list of message ID's and the message parsing?

As accurate as you want it. I consider it a bug if the fields you want
parsed do not show up in our normalized event.

I doubt that there is
a SIM vendor that has a correlation engine that can handle a fraction of
the traffic in an average data-center or enterprise network.

Well. It depends what kind of event load you have. I could start playing
the numbers game here, but let me refrain from that. I can give you a
better answer: If you find that one manager (that's what we call our
server or collector or whatever) is not enough, you can deploy a
multi-tier setup and roll-up events where needed.

Can they provide packaged reporting and alert management?

Definitely.

Flat-file or relational database?

I am assuming you talk about data storage. You probably won't find a SIM
that uses flat-files to store the data. You are just missing too many
features and don't get the performance you need to query.

Don't forget about your SOC operators who have to manage the
message queue and respond to all of the alerts.

Event annotation, workflow, all there.

You can not just push
traffic to a SIM and have it magically (and accurately) generate some
golden nugget message.

You can have it take action. And I know all the SIMs support this.

What are you using to gather vulnerability
assessment information

You import scanner information. There are adapters for vulnerability
scanners. (foundstone, qualys, nessus, you name it)

and how is the SIM correlating against that information?

This is where I can't make a statement about the other SIMs. I know that
we cross-correlated the incoming events with the vulnerability they
target and take that into account to come up with the final priority of
the event.

Valid alerts need to be measured against the vulnerability of
the device/application (patch levels, hardening, etc).

That's done in the priority calculation mentioned in the last section.

Hope this helps...

        -raffy

--

Raffael Marty, GCIA, CISSP                    raffael.marty () arcsight com
Senior Security Engineer                    Content Team @ ArcSight Inc.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.