IDS mailing list archives

RE: on NIDS/NIPS tuning

From: "Phil Hollows" <phollows () openservice com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:15:23 -0400

<snip>
For example, if there are no webservers on a segment, I might
not be as inclined to use sigs that check for Apache exploits
</snip>

The logic here is that you don't have a lock for the key being used.
But the information that you're still being attacked is still very
useful, even if the attack on the current segment will fail, because
then you can use that info to block your hypothetical attacker from
segments that DO have Apache.  If you ignore or tune out this
information you'll be reacting and behind the 8 ball when the attacker
finds those web servers, expensive and annoying, instead of having dealt
with him up front before any damage can be done when you had the chance.

Just a different perspective on the problem, but then I am a SIM vendor
(as is Anton, of course...)

FWIW

Phil Hollows

Please note my updated contact information: OpenService is now at
www.openservice.com

VP Security Products
OpenService, Inc.
www.openservice.com