IDS mailing list archives

RE: Firewalls (was Re: IDS evaluations procedures)

From: "Ha, Jason" <JHa () verisign com au>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:57:26 +1000

Hey Fergus,

I wouldn't say it's a definitive opinion, but I believe it serves as a
rough guideline. A small manufacturing organisation who is having
security issues, typically has only one or two IT personnel who can't
afford the time to maintain their infrastructure as well as educate
themselves on security, let alone apply that knowledge. Not to say there
aren't some "genius" IT folk out there who can... >:) As such, devices
which are simplistic and are effectively plug&pray provide some value
towards handling that security knowledge/experience hole. This is
opposed to a large organisation who has a dedicated team of in-house
security people, as well as having a budget to invest in external
security consulting knowledge. In this instance, the UTM solution may
provide less value, as it often serves as a confusion point (i.e. why
did the UTM pick this up when nothing else did, or why didn't the UTM
pick this up when everything else did etc). But may still serve useful
in some capacity.

I definitely agree with your defence-in-depth approach of security.
Something that I continuously try and highlight to clients is that the
whole concept of security is aimed at discovering and analysing risks,
and then determining what level of mitigation is required. Many of the
security tools we use are aimed at either enforcing security policy to
assist in mitigating risk. Others, more importantly, are used to provide
visibility to determine whether the mitigation is successful or whether
elements of the risks are changing. Often, the amount of information
derived from all these tools is simply overwhelming and require the
knowledge and experience of security experts (either internal or
external) to properly analyse the results and determine whether changes
need to be made to the overall risk management strategy.

I thoroughly agree with your point that security experts (and people in
general for that matter) are the most integral part of security. This is
especially true when you think about it from a human perspective as
opposed to a technical/networking perspective. The main cause of
security issues is in fact "people" (either intentionally or
accidentally). As a result, security education is perhaps one of the
most effective security solutions. This of course, is carried out by
human security experts. I'll be truly impressed the day some vendors
comes up with a funky acronym device which can automatically adjust
people's security mind-set. >:)

Regarding MSSPs, the benefit of an outsourced security provider is that
they can provide expertise immediately (i.e. as an IDS event occurs).
They can then respond on behalf of the customer if it is irrelevant, or
contact the customer and execute the relevant incident procedure
accordingly. The benefit of outsourced security providers is also their
proactiveness. i.e. "Mr customer, there has been a recent IIS
vulnerability that may affect your servers and cause xxx damage." Often,
the larger the organisation, the more complicated the environment and as
such, the more security expertise they require. I believe an outsourced
model provides an additional layer of security (a human version of your
dual-skinned perimeter firewall approach >:) ) which can go a long way
in assisting the organisation.

I think you'll also find that, despite vendors attempting to offer an
automated "it does it all" security solution, they typically have
service arms (or integration partners) who add on all the services
required to provision, implement, continuously tune and report on the
findings of the product. The money is in the services (and the
maintenance contracts I suppose >:) ) and as long as that's the case,
you'll find the products will still require a large degree of human
security expertise.

Good discussion.

Regards,

Jason