IDS mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls (was Re: IDS evaluations procedures)

From: Sanjay Rawat <sanjayr () intoto com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:22:23 +0530

At 01:01 AM 7/26/2005, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
On 22/07/05 14:32 -0700, Swift, David wrote:

Only if your "firewall" is a pure packet filter. Why not improve the IPS
to disallow all traffic except that which is found to be legitimate. The
subset of all traffic which is legitimate is far smaller and
deterministic. And then you might as well terminate the connection right
there and build a wholly new one which is known to be good. And then
market it as a proxy?
hi Dev
Well...i disagree on the correctness of the sentence "...Why not improve the IPS to disallow all traffic except that which is found to be legitimate...." I think IPS is also meant for this, otherwise its simply an IDS. And more than this, how accurately can we define a legitimate traffic, is of paramount importance. you very well know that DoS traffic also look like legitimate as far as individual packet/connection is concerned. the only thing, which I often get confused with is the line of demarcation between an application firewall (proxy) and IPS. As you mentioned also that make some improvements in the product and market that as proxy. if so, then what is that which we are calling as IPS?

Sanjay

I repeat: everything which is not known good is bad. Any security policy
which attempts to enforce otherwise is broken.

Oh well, history repeats itself.

Devdas Bhagat

Sanjay Rawat
Senior Software Engineer
INTOTO Software (India) Private Limited
Uma Plaza, Above HSBC Bank, Nagarjuna Hills
PunjaGutta,Hyderabad 500082 | India
Office: + 91 40 23358927/28 Extn 423
Website : www.intoto.com

  Homepage: http://sanjay-rawat.tripod.com