IDS mailing list archives

RE: Firewalls (was Re: IDS evaluations procedures)

From: "Swift, David" <dswift () ipolicynetworks com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:41:23 -0700

Generalities always have exceptions, but having setup security systems
for more than 2 dozen companies in the past year...

1. With respect to security knowledgeable people, I believe there is a
vast shortage. This translates into opportunity, and possibly rising
technical salaries again (Thank God after the past few years).

2. Whether using UTM or multi-products (FW, IDS/IPS, Proxies, Content
scrubbers...), the knowledge level needed to manage the devices is still
high.

UTMs make it a bit easier to do a bit more, and frequently have better
correlation and cross over between functions (i.e. ability to harden
firewall if ProjectR3X attacks are detected). It may also mean a GUI
instead of multiple CLI's to learn, and built-in context sensitive help
instead of assumed knowledge.

The artificial intelligence postulate put out in a recent response
speaks to the need to codify what is now essentially an arcane art.
Until AI/correlation engines for security grow a great deal, security
expertise is going to be in high demand.

I've been in networking for 15 years and accumulated more than 18
certifications including my CISSP, and on any given day the number of
threats, potential vectors, and possible combinations of products
(Gartner has identified over 700 manufacturers in security), are
daunting, and I can only scratch the surface. I try to tread water
technically, but...keeping up...nice dream, still trying. Getting
ahead...don't have the time or money.

And like the supposed general in American history, I'm too busy shooting
at enemies, with my six shooter and putting out fires to listen to the
Machine Gun salesman's speech.

Customers fall into two categories:
1. Self educated / Been There Done That
        They've usually tried multiple products, learned arcane Command
Line Interfaces (CLI), from multiple vendors, and tried Snort, or some
other IDS.
And of course many of the early IDS problems burned a lot of people (too
many alerts, no correlation, no way to act on the problems except PATCH
PATCH PATCH). Some are past the time when a UTM makes sense. The
investment into existing technologies may be too high. UTM's still work
in these environments if a product does something they may need but
haven't put in place yet (i.e. URL/Content Filtering). Other features
may get turned on later, or only partially implemented because they've
already put in a product to deal with another function. In some of these
environments I install as IPS only, but then new firewall rules are
implemented on my system due to ease of use and reporting. Common
correlated reports (multiple firewalls, and IDS sensors), are another
reason for UTMs.

Most of the folks in this forum appear to be in the BTDTandBeenBurned
group.

2. Struggling / What's after firewalls?
Many folks out there have been running firewalls, and possibly an IDS
engine, but have heard there are all kinds of ways to attack through a
firewall, and are tired of IDS reports that go on for 100 or more pages.
To much data, no actionable information, and no way to block (IPS), even
if they can turn those hundreds of pages of data into correlated
information.

In the case of firewall only customers, IPS is the big requested
feature. IDS gives visibility to data that they may not have been able
to capture before (Small Telco's who now serve IP are frequently elated
to just be able to see what's really going on), and thankfully with IPS
ways to block some of the worst nasties (worms, kiddie scripters,
DoS/DDoS, known OS/App vulnerabilities).

The constant challenge is the number of threat vectors and
vulnerabilities increases everyday, and no one does (marketing aside),
it all.

Eventually I believe much of it will be codified, unified, and
productized.
It should parallel virus protection. In the 80's there were only a few,
now McAffee has over 110,000 in the signature database. In the 90's I'd
get infected machines I'd have to clean or re-image weekly, now with
good desktop AV software (many are not kept up to date, but...), I don't
have to clean/rebuild many machines due to virus caused problems.

I've managed a variety of networks and used point solutions.

Personally, I like Unified Solutions (and I work for a unified solutions
vendor), but I'm always pressing my company to add MORE. We do FW, URL,
IDS/IPS, and will be adding AV. But of course I push for correlation,
and event escalation (tagging sources to a higher threat level when
innocuous IDS events are seen, if further types of actions are seen),
and forensics (don't just tell me the IP and IDS type, even if it's
blocked, Tell me WHO is at the other end of that pipe (reverse DNS,
auto-WHOIS, ARP caches if available...).

Sorry for the long winded rambling reply. Large topic.