IDS mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls (was Re: IDS evaluations procedures)

From: Fergus Brooks <fergwa () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:03:34 +0800

Thanks for your comments Jason.

So does this lead us to the opinion that "...organisations that can't
afford or don't feel the need for security experts..." should be the
ones using the UTM appliances mentioned above and that organisations
with the resources and a solid belief in effective security should
either employ security experts who decide which tools they need to do
the job or outsource to dedicated manged security providers?

I suggest that any organisation who fits into this category should
employ a layered approach that includes, at least, dual-skinned
perimeter firewalls (packet filter and proxy,) bastion front-end
hosts, intrusion detection systems, mitigation systems (or methods in
the case of using existing devices like routers & firewalls) and some
kind of protocol and network behavioural anomaly detection to profile
zero-hour attacks and also see the 90%-plus network impacting events
that aren't security related.

I won't even bother covering anti-virus or content filtering. Then it
is time to add a SIM app like MARS to reduce console shock and provide
for correlation and aggregation of the myriad number of alerts and
reports.

Without flogging a dead horse my point is that vendors suggesting to
large enterprise clients that they have a mechanical silver bullet are
minimising the value that professional consultants bring to holding
this very necessary framework together. No machine can compete with
the intuitive and experienced problem-solving processes of a properly
trained and resourced human. Do we want the security of our money,
cities, credit card debt (oh don't know how that last one slipped in
there...) protected by anything else?

Outsourced security providers add a layer of independence and
expertise to this approach, be it for one set of tools or everything.
Security professionals should be encouraging clients to resource their
staff adequately or outsource. The vendors should be increasing the
value of their products by training the channel (not an easy thing to
do when they don't want to get trained!) and insisting that initial &
ongoing services are bundled with the product to ensure effective
implementation and integration. What is wrong with the concept of
selling quarterly health checks with the box/software? Adds value to
the overall deal, provides for repeat revenue, and improves the
reputation and competitive stature of the reseller.

If it was me who had spent 30-odd grand on a couple of perimeter IDS'
that send alerts to an email account nobody checks I would be a very
hard person to sell anything with "Intrusion" in the name...