IDS mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Prevention

From: Chris Petersen <chris () idsroi com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:57:14 -0500

Not understanding how "attack traffic fingerprinting" could work in the
following 3 scenarios, I dug into what literature I could find on
Forescout.  Initial scenarios:

1 - Attack occurs in separate TCP session than initial reconnaissance
2 - IP used in attack is different than IP used to scan (e.g., FTP
bounce scan, zombie idle scan, etc.)
3 - Scanning takes place over long period of time from many different
systems

Upon reading the lit, Forescout "marks" an attacker when it detects
reconnaissance activity and responds with deception packets.  The lit.
is very grey about what the "mark" actually is.  What I suppose the mark
to be is the following:
- if an IP probe - deceptive responses sent with known to be invalid,
"marked" IP address
- if a port probe against single IP - deceptive responses sent with
known to be invalid, "marked" open ports.
  - I would imagine Forescout also sends fake responses indicating
actual open ports are closed.

Assuming this is the way it works, Forescout then waits for an attack
against marked IP or port.  Given Forescout is analyzing the destination
IP or port, it doesn't matter where the attack originates - dismissing
my 3 initial issues.  However, it opens up many others.

The literature is grey about whether or not the real responses are also
sent.  I believe the real response along with the deceptive response are
sent back to the attacker.  I say this because it appears Forescout's
blocking mechanism is TCP Reset - more on this later.  It does not
appear to sit in-line where it could actually drop the response as would
a firewall.  If this is true, a race condition exists where the Deceptor
needs to respond to the attacker before the probed system does - what
happens when this fails?  Also, if both real and deceptive responses are
sent back to attacker, it would seem very possible to fingerprint
Forescout by analyzing response traffic looking for overlapping packets.

Back to TCP Resets.  This appears to be the mechanism by which Forescout
will block subsequent attacks assuming the attacker targets a "marked"
IP or port.  I draw this conclusion based on it being the only blocking
mechanism described besides integration with Checkpoint firewall.  100%
prevention assumes 100% TCP reset effectiveness.  I have trouble with
this.

I also have difficulty with the following statement taken directly from
their data sheet which also professes "Full" protection of known and
unknown attacks.

"As long as the attacker performed a scan beforehand - which they
invariably do - ActiveScout will protect the network."

So what happens if the attack is blind?  Or when the scan is a single
port probe against an authorized service such as SSH or HTTP.  I don't
see how any technology can separate an attacker typing
www.yourdomain.com into a browser from a customer doing the same.

As for 0% False Alarms, I think this is actually true because I don't
think Forescout detects anything - I think it just waits for traffic
destined for marked IP addresses or Ports and begins issuing TCP resets.
There is nothing I could find on detection methods - no pattern
matching, protocol analysis, etc.  It seems entirely predicated on being
able to identify and then mark reconnaissance activity and correlate
that with follow-on attacks.  This is likely very possible in wide,
sweeping reconnassiance activities, but if the reconnassiance is
distributed, slow, and targeted against likely authorized services, how
is 100% accurate reconnassaince detection possible?

My analysis is based solely on what I was able to grock from Forescout's
web site and is attributed to me alone.  I encourage someone to please
spell it out for me or fill in the gaps if I'm off base.

No doubt Forescout has it's merits and the cool factor is very high -
however, not sure the marketing is as 100% as it's purported preventive
capabilities.

Chris Petersen
Entrepreneur and consultant