IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Prevention

From: Jill Tovey <jill.tovey () bigbluedoor com>
Date: 9 Dec 2002 09:46:10 -0000

ActiveScout by all intents and purposes seems a unique and innovative
approach to IDS technologies and provides a number of advantages over
other detection systems, such as proactively detecting reconnaissance
attacks.

However, as far as I can see the disadvantages could be that you can only
run the sensor on a redhat 7.2 platform, which is fairly old now.

On testing it seems to have performed well, however, I have read that
there have been some problems.  ActiveScout is good at detecting attacks
that are followed by reconnaissance activities, but does not catch all
direct attacks made on a system.

I think it would work well with an anomaly-based IDS on the internal
network.

Kind Regards,

Jill Tovey