Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:49:21 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Bill McGee (bam) wrote:

I'm probably going to throttle this thread after this, because it's
getting into semantics and marketing...

You're right that there has been a great deal of convergence and feature
parity development between PIX/ASA and the IOS and CatOS Firewalls.
This, again, is "on purpose." It's part of Cisco's position that
security and risk reduction are better when the disparate parts of your
security and network solutions work together.

But to say they're *different* due to some magic strategy is still
disingenious, they're different because _they were different at the
start_, not because Cisco suddenly had some great epiphany to create a
security product on a new platform with a new codebase so that their
customers could feel secure that a bug in their screening router wouldn't
affect their firewall.

It was also Cisco's position at one point that IOS uber alles should be
the mantra- I remember early on saying something along the lines of "I
wouldn't buy a PIX because they're flawed, but moving them to IOS is going
to make me even less likely to buy any of them since I'm using IOS on my
screening routers and providing the same codebase in every portion of my
security infrastructure is stupid."  *That* would have been screwing it
up.  The fact that the "let's screw it up" plan didn't happen is good, but
it's not the same as designing two very different products from the start.

A plan in progress (and yes, I've been here for ten years and am pretty
sure we have had, and continue to have a strategy) means that at any
moment in time you are only going to see what's available then. That's
why the positioning and messaging evolves over time. At one time, we had

Yes, but your current "positioning message" appears to be "We made two
different products and kept them seperate..." not "We started with two
different products and didn't merge them..."

It's not quite the same thing, IMO, as just managing to not "screw it
up."

You start with an apple you bought from a friend and an orange you grew
in your garden, you at some point decide to proclaim that you shall turn
the apple into an orange, then decide not to.

You then proclaim that you made the apple and orange different on purpose.

That's how your "positioning message" came across to me and to a large
number of readers on this list- couple (*cough*) that with a term like
"positioning statement" and then ask us what "position" we think a
vendor's thinking their customer is in when they use that term.

It was 50/50 if I should have approved the original message because it's
mostly marketing fluff.  I get a fair number of questions about approving
marginal messages when I do so- this thread's about run it's course, seems
like you're sticking with your position and I'm sticking with mine- so
we'll just have to agree to differ.

Paul