Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 21:51:46 -0500

On Nov 25, 2007 11:31 AM, Bill McGee (bam) <bam () cisco com> wrote:
Yes, PIX/ASA has a different OS tham IOS. That's on purpose. Lots of folks
have policies which require that their security is different from their
infrastructure.

Are you sure it's not just that PIX was originally BorderWare and that
IOS runs (or ran) on m68k processors while the PIX codebase is x86?
Chris Blask subscribes to this mailing list, you know.

Of course, we also offer the IOS Firewall, which is another Enterprise-Class firewall with full
routing functionality.  The biggest advantage with these solutions, based on thousands of
interviews with customers, is how fully they integrate with the network.

Are you sure it's not the difference in hardware platforms again?
Combining IOS and PIX OS is too complicated to be worth the effort.
That's OK.  I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I'm a little
offended that you didn't think anybody here would know the real
answers.

PaulM