Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: "Bill McGee (bam)" <bam () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:32:00 -0800

Hi, Paul,

Here's some information around some of your questions/statements:

Are you sure it's not just that PIX was originally BorderWare and that
IOS runs (or ran) on m68k processors while the PIX codebase is x86?

PIX was never BorderWare. (BorderWare is STILL BorderWare, BTW. See
www.borderware.com)

You're right, though, that PIX was an acquisition. It ran on a
proprietary, hardened OS called 'Finesse.' The original plan was to port
it to IOS, as we had an IOS firewall project we were working on.
However, the market at the time really bought into the idea of a
separate appliance running its own IOS. So we instead maintained two
separate development teams, but with a great deal of cross-development.

Chris Blask subscribes to this mailing list, you know.

I know. Chris was part of BorderWare when their firewall was first
conceived (I think he still has the original concept that he and a few
others sketched on a napkin over dinner somewhere.) My first company
hired Chris from BorderWare to manage our BorderWare reseller program.
Chris later returned the favor by hiring me to work with him as
co-Product Managers for the PIX. I'd be happy for him to chime in here.

Are you sure it's not the difference in hardware platforms again?
Combining IOS and PIX OS is too complicated to be worth the effort.

Complicated, yes. Too complicated? Hardly. In fact, a number of features
in the PIX and the IOS Firewall were the result of program and code
sharing between our PIX and IOS Firewall teams.

That's OK.  I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I'm a little
offended that you didn't think anybody here would know the real
answers.

No offense taken. Hope this clears things up for you...

-bill

PaulM