Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: IDS (was: FW appliance comparison)

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 02:56:54 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 chris () blask org wrote:

of the devices and applications that make up that network.  The only
reason not to focus on producing that telemetry and making sense of it
is because there is too much, which becomes a lame excuse after a long
enough time.

No, there's another reason not to collect it;  Everything you collect
under almost all evnironments is ultimately legally discoverable.

 Devices should be able to report on everything they do, there should be
someplace to put all this stuff, and there should be tools to digest it
appropriately.  Some of the pieces necessary are coming together and
it's generally the most usefull area to focus on.

Should be able to, sure- should always- not for me thanks.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Paul