Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:23:35 -0400 (EDT)

Mason Schmitt <mason () schmitt ca> wrote:

[snip]

As has been pointed out on this list many times and even in this thread,
the average home user does not have the knowledge or resources to really
be responsible for the actions of their computers or those using them
for their own nefarious purposes.
[snip]

So?  They're still responsible for their own property.  If I go out and
buy a firearm or automobile, fail to obtain adequate instruction in its
safe use, and subsequently create mayhem with it, will I be excused
from penalty because I didn't know what I was doing?  I think not.

That being said: ISPs *could* somewhat mitigate against the clueless at
the DSL/cable modem, if they wanted to.

Jim