Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: Mason Schmitt <mason () schmitt ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:43:31 -0700

Brian Loe wrote:
I think you're wrong. I don't think an ISP should baby-sit anymore than I
think the government should. We are all responsible for our own actions.
That's life. Its called personal responsibility and I support it
wholeheartedly.

As has been pointed out on this list many times and even in this thread,
the average home user does not have the knowledge or resources to really
be responsible for the actions of their computers or those using them
for their own nefarious purposes.  This is somewhat akin to the young
offenders act.  You as an adult however, have full knowledge of what you
do and say and so should definitely be held responsible for your own
actions.  That's the theory anyway.  Given that people can spill coffee
on their lap and then successfully sue McDonalds gives me pause...  Many
people seem to think that nothing is their responsibility. :P

The
spam, the viruses...you can't prevent me, your customer, from being stupid.

Can't stop you from being stupid, but I can certainly do something from
stopping your stupidity from harming others.

Trying to do so only ruins the service for all of us. Now MY bandwidth is
getting eaten by your good intentions just because my neighbor can't keep
his teenager off the porn sites.

Actually, if the ISP is really being fair about it, your performance
overall may actually be improved.  Seriously.

Bandwidth management is becoming a very important part of running an
ISP.  If an ISP wants to provide customers with a connection that
"feels" fast, they have to get involved - caching, rate limiting,
filtering, bit caps.  If ISPs did nothing to manage bandwidth, you
wouldn't be as happy with the result.

PLEASE explain to me how my P2P app is going to affect you - my ISP - or my
neighbor?

I'm not overly worried about your p2p app anymore and your neighbour
doesn't have to worry too much about it either.

--
Mason