Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:47:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Chris Blask wrote:

The problem is that, without any sort of identity (and there is
exactly 0.0000% of net traffic using anything worth calling
identity), it is impossible to treat Identified traffic and Anonymous
traffic differently, as they logically deserve.

Two words:  Identity Fraud.

Decentralized, distributed responsibility.  If I own an auth server
then I am responsible for the activities of those who use it.  If I

You're willing to be responsible for your user's behavior?  After they're
Trojaned?

Just like the encryption boundary problem that is the reason SSL is
severely broken as a concept, the use of identity can't be done in a
system that's not closed, and we don't have the methods, technologies or
wherewithall to close the software, transport and physical endpoints
everywhere.

Paul