Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The home user problem returns

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:22:26 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] The home user problem returns

No, no, no.... Privacy, anonymity, and digital rights management are all
inextricably
entertwined parts of the same problem, but they don't necessarily equate
or conflict.

I guess I object to my privacy being rebadged as 'anonymity' and therefore a
problem.  I'm not anonymous, and neither is anybody else on the Internet,
despite some claims to the contrary (remember, they raided anon.penet.fi).
I'm just unknown to you because your vantage point is incomplete.

("DRM?" you ask...
As Dan Geer likes to point out, privacy technologies ideally let the owner
of a piece
of information control its disclosure, copying, duration of disclosure,
and
frequency/count of disclosure.  That's also the laundry list for an ideal
digital
rights management system.)

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed.  American consumerism trumped American
liberty and privacy in that arena years ago.  We'll be lucky to have the
ability to find out what personal information of ours is being stored and
traded by the organizations that have it, let alone have the power to take
it away from them.  Sadly, I am confident that if it does happen, it will be
as a reaction to a major info-disaster that has serious negative fall-out
for a large portion of American citizens.

PaulM