Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: Mason Schmitt <mason () schmitt ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:59:51 -0700

On bad days and good days I fully agree.  The problem is that it can't
stay like this, so movement has to occur somewhere.  Perhaps you're
right that we're wasting our breath.

Marcus is right to keep people on their toes: no-one should expect to
fire off ill-conceived comments or solutions and not get their lungs
ripped out - this is all too important.  Any actual good ideas can stand
harsh comment - bullshit disintegrates.

Are my ideas ill-conceived?  I shouldn't even call them mine, because
they are not unique to me - there are no unique ideas; just people that
get to claim discovery, because they were the first to publicly announce
an idea or act upon it.  As to whether or not they will disintegrate, I
still don't know whether they will or not.  I'm not going to know until
I try them or someone points out some specific areas in which they will
fail.

What specifically do you think is bullshit?  Or is it just my approach
in general?  The better I understand this problem the better off I'm
going to be.

In my last email, this was one of the things that I stressed (or I hope
I did).  People need to learn to question.  My generation is doing a
good job in this area, but my parent's generation is as trusting as an
unspoiled child when it comes to the net.  I think the biggest problem
with the older crowd is that they don't really know what the net is -
I'm still working on my parents.  That's what I want to try to teach
people.

That right there is my point.  The quantity of exposure that the average
Joe needs to understand the issues being discussed is "N", where N is a
very large number (particularly if Joe is 50+).  We are currently about
1/N into the process...

I disagree.  I don't think that N need be that large.  Even now with the
huge mess we have, N is manageable if it is presented properly and
*people want to listen*.  N can be reduced considerably if those
providing PCs, network access, etc can improve the security of their
offerings.  This of course being a much longer term look at the problem.

Here are two ways of looking at N.  The first one applies to the present
state of things, the second is longer term.

N in a positive reinforcement scenario (short term)
If as a group, we like to preach least privilege, why do we keep trying
to tell home users what they _shouldn't_ be doing?  That sounds like
default allow.  Why not tell them what they should be doing?  It's going
to be a much shorter list.

N as seen from within a mature utility model (long term)
Here's another way of looking at the long term size of N.  In one of the
emails in this thread, someone mentioned that Internet access should be
like a utility.  I'd like to take that analogy (because that's what it
is) and expand upon it.

Look at the electrical utilities (I'm going to assume North America).
Access to electricity is available to anyone that wants it - from large
massively energy intensive operations such as aluminium smelters right
down to your average home owner.

Electricity is provided to home users in a very well controlled fashion.
 The utility puts out a very consistent 60Hz and the power is expected
to be within clearly defined limits of the amount of distortion, amount
of voltage fluctuation etc.  The utility also provides automated systems
that are designed to protect their infrastructure as well as anyone
attached to it.

When the connection is made from the pole to the home, it must meet
strict electrical codes and certain parts of the installation (such as
your panel) must be done by an electrician.  The only interface
presented to the home user that would allow them to actually touch what
they are paying for is a three prong outlet.  Or if you are in the
bathroom, hopefully a GFI as well.  (Well light sockets too, but I'm
trying to keep this simple.)

What do home users plug into these three prong outlets?  The vast
majority of home users will plug in lamps, kitchen appliances, clocks,
computers, etc.  *ALL* of which must be inspected and approved for
safety before being allowed to go to market.  If a home user wants to
play and decides to stick a fork in an outlet, the rest of us are
protected by the fact that there is "egress" protection mandated at the
home - the breaker is going to blow.  At this point, user education is
pretty simple:
Don't stick your finger in a light socket.
Don't let your kid stick a finger (or anything else) in an outlet (there
are even plastic outlet plugs for this purpose)
Don't blow-dry your hair in the bathtub.

These are not complicated rules.  This is a very small value of N.   The
reason that the rules are not complicated is due to the steps that
industry/government has taken to regulate the utility and to protect the
home user.

Getting back to computers and the Internet... If these sorts of controls
and industry maturity were in place, home users wouldn't be such a
problem.  The big problem is that the Internet right now is very much
like the "Wild West" - it's young, immature, un-controlled and much
about how it should work is still unknown.  It just needs to mature.

Lucy: "You can't subtract five from three!"

Linus: "You can if you're stupid!"

Never underestimate the power of naive optimism.

I hadn't heard that exchange before.  That's a good one :)

--
Mason