Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: Mason Schmitt <mason () schmitt ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:36:27 -0700

Are my ideas ill-conceived?

no no, that was a general comment about Marcus being right (don't tell
him I said that!)... ;~)

You shouldn't have CC'd him then ;)

What specifically do you think is bullshit?  Or is it just my approach
in general?  The better I understand this problem the better off I'm
going to be.

Wrong tack.  My comment was not in opposition to your comments, but in
something akin to agreement.

Ah, sorry about that.

N in a positive reinforcement scenario (short term)
If as a group, we like to preach least privilege, why do we keep trying
to tell home users what they _shouldn't_ be doing?  That sounds like
default allow.  Why not tell them what they should be doing?  It's going
to be a much shorter list.

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler. "?  :~)

Yeah!

Getting back to computers and the Internet... If these sorts of controls
and industry maturity were in place, home users wouldn't be such a
problem.  The big problem is that the Internet right now is very much
like the "Wild West" - it's young, immature, un-controlled and much
about how it should work is still unknown.  It just needs to mature.

The problem we are dealing with is that many consumers do not understand
what electricity is or why they should expect their razor to shave their
face but not be able to cook a well-turned prime rib - or explode
violently and tear off their arms, for that matter.  They are
effectively Australopithicenes and we need to bring them up to at least
Victorian standards so they don't beat the computer with a stick to kill
the demons inside.

I'd love to see someone try to do that :)  That would be immensely
entertaining.

Lucy: "You can't subtract five from three!"

Linus: "You can if you're stupid!"

I hadn't heard that exchange before.  That's a good one :)

I got a Peanuts book when I was four for Christmas with that cartoon in
it.  A few months later my dad taught me about negative numbers, and the
fact that something so obviously impossible could turn out to be so
completely wrong so quickly has always stuck with me.  All sorts of sh*t
is possible if you just do it...

Yup.  It often just takes a willingness to look at other possible ways
of approaching a problem.

--
Mason