Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing a wireless network

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:54:38 -0700 (PDT)

I've thought about similar things for my home system and for systems I administer for non-profit groups.

I think these situations differ slightly from the typical corporate environment.

1. very little data on the network has significant value

2. you have almost no control over the clients

even more so then in corporate environments you don't have a budget so you end up trying to make a reasonable attempt that you know will not stop anyone who is determined, but it will be better then being a wide open invitation.

becouse of the lack of control over the clients anything that involves distributing keys and special configuration (like WEP does) is not practical (and you DON'T want to try and field all the calls that these problems would generate, especially from the high muckty-mucks who get their machine properly configured for this network and then call you to help make the machine work on their home network)

I haven't yet implmented this as anything other then a proof-of-concept set of shell scripts (and then only partially) but here are my thoughts on the issues.

anyone who starts sniffing and changing their MAC address is probably going to be able to defeat any barriers we can raise so note this as a risk and then ignore it.

so you can now base some of your security on the MAC addresses that you see over the wire, let's leverage that.

MAC addresses now fall into two catagories known and unknown.

for known (approved) mac addresses you just want to give them an address and let them start working. this can be done easily with static DHCP leases

for unkown MAC addresses you want to let them on the network, but only enough to tell you who they are and get approved.

create a seperate network with no routing to or from the outside world and use DHCP to issue addresses in this seperate network.

Then use NAT or DNS games to direct any HTTP request to a special server that has them register (including identifying themselves). this is where you would insert a requirement to download and run a script, the script can report back to the server that it has completed sucessfully. Note that you can (and should) use HTTPS for this authentication)

after the user has satisfied your authentication server it updates the DHCP configuration to now include this MAC address as a known one, instruct the user to reboot their machine, and when it comes back up it will now be a known machine and have access.

for a little added security you can use static ARP entries or firewall rules on your gateway box to make sure that the MAC address and IP address are what you expect, although anyone who has sniffed the network enough to figure out the allowed IP addresses and manually set it into their machine may not be slowed much by the need to set the MAC address as well.

This approach ahs the advantage that the only software the client needs is a browser and DHCP client so anything should be able to use it.

now when useing a network 'secured' as I list above for anything at all sensitive you have to recognise it's limitations and treat it like you would a DSL or dial-up line from home, run a VPN or something equivalent to provide the secure access to the area you need, but for areas where you do not have that need this should work reasonably well.

David Lang