Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Securing a wireless network

From: <chris () compucounts com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:55:34 -0400

The network in question is in a public high school (hence 'so-called
place of business').  The users are faculty, staff, students, and any
hobo around the corner with a laptop and a wireless card.  We have next
to no control over end user devices, because almost everybody brings
their own.  The networked computers are almost entirely Windows based;
we don't care about the half dozen Macs.

There is very little concern for traditional security in this
environment.  Confidentiality is not an issue and quite frankly, I would
welcome a MITM attack - it would be something new around here.
Accounting is based on IP address - 1 year leases.  Those with enough
knowledge to bypass the http proxy and this "accounting" method are also
(usually) smart enough to not look at porn in front of their teachers.
Although there have been some exceptions to this (funny!!).

The general idea here is that if you know enough to bypass our lack of
security, you deserve to do so.  Best practices?  Don't start - These
are the wishes of a school system completely unwilling to change.
Nobody has any sense of security around here.

My only goal is to make sure the laptops that go in and out of here on a
daily basis don't bring every strain of Bagle, Netsky, Sasser or herpes
into this place.  I would rather enforce the use of condoms than preach
abstinence in vain and play doctor every day.

**

So far, I've gotten several suggestions about Cisco's Network Admission
Control and the Cisco Trust Agent.  I'm looking into this and it looks
promising.  Hopefully someone in engineering has a cisco account so we
can download the goodies.

A few other relevant solutions have been suggested, but they're all
retail.  I was actually expecting more of the 'free unix' approach;
maybe I've been on Full-Disclosure for too long ;).

I stumbled across several Intel and HP NIC utilities that support VLAN
trunking in Windows.  It's a starting point, but I still lack the
ability to change a client's VLAN.

The Cisco approach looks to be the best bet atm.

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions so far.

-chris