Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing a wireless network

From: Morrow <morrow.long () yale edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:45:09 -0400

The Internet2 Salsa document draft you cited is a fantastic resource.

In addition to the network access control systems sold commercially it references:

        Bradford Campus Manager
        Perfigo (now acquired by Cisco)

there are also many systems sold specifically for securing wireless networks
(usually adding 802.1X for authentication and/or web-based auth, an
agent including an EAP 'supplicant' can also act as a host-based scanner
agent, patch checker, firewall/IDS, etc.). If you are a more recent wireless vendor with a security solution and I've left you out please forgive me...

        Aruba                   www.arubanetworks.com
        BlueSocket              www.bluesocket.com
        Cranite Systems http://www.cranite.com/
        Ecutel                  www.ecutel.com
        Fortress Tech           http://www.fortresstech.com/
        ReefEdge                        www.reefedge.com
        Vernier                 www.vernier.com

Harvard Medical School and the Boston Public Library have used BlueSocket.

A number of other institutions have used the other commercial solutions above.

An article (that is now a bit dated) covers the subject from Network World Dec 02:
        http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/1202earlywlan.html

Many Universities have 'rolled' their own quaruntine/isolation systems by using a combination of integrating public domain and commercial systems for:

* mandatory network registration (NetReg -- the Southwest or a variant )

* DHCP servers

* VLANs and/or RFC1918 subnets

* network vulnerability assessment scanners (Nessus or NASL modules)

* Windows host-based security assessment agents (home-built or commercial)
        to check patch management  and the existence/operation of A/V, S/W F/W,
        HIDS, policies, etc.

* Routers using ACLs (Access Control Lists), Firewalls or IPSes to limit access off
        the wireless network

* 'NoCatAuth' captive web portals -- redirection servers to 'capture' the captive systems web browser sessions and put up pages explaining why the PC is isolated, how to get out of quaruntine (via patching, sanitization, downloading/installing an agent program, registering the PC, etc.) as well as providing A/V software, worm removal
        tools & patch downloads (e.g. MS SUS/WUS servers).

Many Universities and colleges use such systems to attempt to control the masses of residential (dorm) student PCs connecting to their campus networks (initially these network access control systems were for wired networks and now are also used for authenticating & screening PCs before allowing them access from wireless network connections).

H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM
Director - Information Security Office
Yale University, ITS