Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: <firewalladmin () bellsouth net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:08:29 -0400

Yes, teaching is an art. It can be difficult in and of itself, but I've seen PLENTY of good teachers who wouldn't last
a day in the field. Selling is also a talent. My boss is a good example. He was in the tech field for a few years and
not half bad at it, then he became an instructor/administrator at a small college and was pretty good. Then he moved up
the management track in my company and is now the VP because he is a great salesman/marketer. Though he relies on his
technical staff for our technical skill, he could market and sell a line of battery operated freezers to Eskimos. He
drums up the work and contracts while allowing his staff to perform the tasks at hand.

I agree with your observation about consultants needing certs to appear credible. Anymore though and one needs certs
and a BA to get a job in this field, not counting the old timers who have been with the same outfit for 10+ years, they
have proved their credibility. If they ever DO need to find new employment, though, it can get tough with "just" 10-15
years experience and no certs. Individuals vary greatly though, so it's not etched in stone about what you need. Who
you know, personality, salesmanship, luck, etc all play a part.

Whoops, been talking way too long. Sorry!