Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:35:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, R. DuFresne wrote:

Strategically, I want to deal with it the right way- either removing the
dependence on RPC (hey, all my Linux systems don't need network-based RPC
anymore) or by getting the developers to give me better separation- MS is
actually starting to do that with
whatever-the-heck-the-next-bug-cluster-is-called.

I do recall not long ago, some of these very same folks trying to work out
how to do the same with SUN systems and RPC, which was then, a near
nightmare iwth SUN's dependance or wish to depend upon RPC for many of
it's services.  One might have thought that would have been a clue for the
redmond crowd to hook into by now?!

I did a kernel module once that bound daemon sockets to loopback, worked
great for RPC services- but Sun's compiler hated me, so I ended up punting
and doing the POC on Linux (this was before GCC was 64-bit clean on
Sparc.)

Logic went something like "if there's no controlling TTY, and you're
trying to bind to if_any, then force the address for the call to loopback."
I eventually added parent process checking- it was a fun little hack-
unfortunately it only worked for things which went through the syscall
table- guess what- in-kernel network filesystems on Linux don't. *sigh*

Paul