Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:12:44 -0400 (EDT)

        [snip]

Funnily enough, I booted WinXP Pro on my laptop[0] last week to put some
shellcode through a disassembler.  There was no danger from any RPC-based
malcode.

How _ELSE_ do you want to deal with that problem? Let me put it a different

Strategically, I want to deal with it the right way- either removing the
dependence on RPC (hey, all my Linux systems don't need network-based RPC
anymore) or by getting the developers to give me better separation- MS is
actually starting to do that with
whatever-the-heck-the-next-bug-cluster-is-called.

I do recall not long ago, some of these very same folks trying to work out
how to do the same with SUN systems and RPC, which was then, a near
nightmare iwth SUN's dependance or wish to depend upon RPC for many of
it's services.  One might have thought that would have been a clue for the
redmond crowd to hook into by now?!

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!