Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Certification (was Re:Vulnerability Response)

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:30:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Dave Piscitello wrote:

Expert, n: someone who has made all of the mistakes. See "consultant".

I strongly disagree. $consultant != 'expert'. Most of the consultants
out there have great PR and soft skills and limited technical skills.
There are soooo many clueless consultants out there, way more than
cluefull ones...

I hope the moderator will put this thread to bed, as it's degenerating
into digital racism. Once we begin blanket condemnation of any group
we aren't acting much like wizards...

Sure we are, we're smiting!  You can't have wizards without a good smiting
or two!  Me?  I call for a blanket condemnation of attackers.

There, I feel better now.  Good thing it's Friday.

Seriously, no need for anyone to get wrapped up in it, there's nothing
wrong with a little give an take- it's really amusing to see otherwise
rational folks defend consulting or certifications, or attack consulting
or certifications based upon their status as such- now, is the status due
to the belief, or the belief due to the status?  That's the interesting
question in these threads...

Paul