Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:45:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Ben Nagy wrote:

Take a look at the recent security record of MS RPC endpoints. You can't
turn them off. You can't secure them. Windows will break.

Funnily enough, I booted WinXP Pro on my laptop[0] last week to put some
shellcode through a disassembler.  There was no danger from any RPC-based
malcode.

How _ELSE_ do you want to deal with that problem? Let me put it a different

Strategically, I want to deal with it the right way- either removing the
dependence on RPC (hey, all my Linux systems don't need network-based RPC
anymore) or by getting the developers to give me better separation- MS is
actually starting to do that with
whatever-the-heck-the-next-bug-cluster-is-called.

You can only harden up until the OS will let you. If the core service has an

Not true- you can firewall things that the OS won't let you do.

exploitable bug then only a patch will fix it. Other solutions (like my

If it can't be attacked, then arguably, it doesn't need to be fixed.

Even assuming that you could have pre-hardened a box (it is true that
hardening _might_ have let you dodge Blaster and Sasser, but wait until the
multiple vectored worms really start hitting us) then most people just won't
do it. In any case, having a huge freaking gaping  security hole in a core
service is not something I feel comfortable about, same as running a
thousand Win95 boxes "behind a firewall" sends shivers down my spine.

Yet lots of people do it every day and don't have many problems....

Paul
[0] G4 Powerbook, running XP in VirutalPC with the hosting OS providing
firewalling.  I find BOCHs interesting strategically because you actually
could do kernel level firewalling.