Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

irc was Re: iso 17799

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:49:48 +0400

nuqneH,

What's wrong with irc? It is our primary messaging and communication system
for external non-sensitive purposes, we use it to discuss technical problems
and more ;-) We could switch to silc or jabber, but people we talk to use
irc!

I don't see any serious security issues with irc. We even do run some bots,
on external non-critical machines, for sure. We even do proxy dcc connections
and enforce some protocol security checks via application proxy.

(Yes, there are some windows trojans that are controlled via irc, but none
of those are proxy-aware and none of our irc clients runs on windows. Some
use dedicated shellbox for that).