Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: iso 17799

From: Dana Nowell <DanaNowell () cornerstonesoftware com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:08:43 -0400

At 03:58 PM 7/21/2004 -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Dana Nowell wrote:
Thanks for the list, but methinks your rant missed the point. :-).

No, I understood your point. I just don't think education is the
issue. :)

So what is?

Having worked in several micro start-ups
and small companies throughout my career, I can assure you they don't buy
$100,000 doo-dads.

Uhm, I know. I've done start-ups too.

In fact the entire operations budget (host, network,
security, etc) MIGHT be $100,000/yr including salaries.

Right, then you're small enough to approach security
as a non-technical problem and actually solve it. By
making sure your users are controlled, your network
is tight, and your security is not a problem. It's only
the big companies that are so pervasively populated
with stupid middle managers and C-level execs that
they can afford to buy $100,000 doo-dads. If you're
small, you're small enough to implement simple
proxy servers, segment your network, etc. It's much
easier to overcome office politics and layer 8 issues
in a small company.

So what is wrong with a repository of information for those people to mine
as needed?  Too small a group?  Not worth the effort?  Hey if your issue is
with big companies, lots of little ones exist on the net and they get
hacked too.

 So I think your
definition of small company and my definition of small company are
different (hint, if you need to use your fingers AND toes to count staff,
you are closing on the upper limit, borrow Paul's too and we're more than
covered ;).

Hey, I used to be able to fit my entire company's
staff AND a case of beer in a small hot tub. "Been
there, done that."

Maybe where you work, a $100,000 doo-dad

Maybe you need to go back and actually read my posting.
Or, perhaps it was so badly written that you managed to
get the exact opposite message from it than I intended. :(
I was *trashing* the idea of the $100,000 doo-dad. It's a
stupid approach. Did *ANY* of the "good practices" I
post say "buy a $100,000 doo-dad"? They were all "do
this" "don't do that."  Most of the ideas I was recommending
are cheap to implement technically, though often costly
in terms of organization and office politics (which scale
as the organization scales)

Yes, the ideas work, like I said in the post, I've tried many of them.  I'm
not sure why you brought the $100,000 doo-dad into the picture in the first
place.  I assumed it was because you feel education won't help as people
want to buy the magic bullet and move on.  Yes, no kidding, we'd all like
the magic bullet, now what's really in the bag?;)  Seriously some people
fall for marketing hype, some don't, some people just want to get through
the day and some plan well in advance, people vary.  There are some of us
interested in doing a good job and we don't believe in magic bullets.  We
also think it is stupid to have ten people solve the same problem ten
times.  How about we try, the first guy solves it, the remaining 9 tweak
his solution for their environment and we expend 5-8 times effort instead
of 10 times effort?

The push for standards by the marketing weenies has always existed.  As you
state, because it helps them gain control over the market.  BUT there is
now push for standards from the customer/geek/CEO and not because they want
the vendor to control the market.  It's because they need help, any help in
getting a handle on direction.

I see little evidence of that.
In fact, the trends I see in the industry are largely contrary to what
you assert. Can you explain the basis of your belief?

Several discussions on this list.  Several discussions in my office.
Several emails to assorted peers. Several discussions with clients.  A LOT
more activity than in the past few years.  People are overloaded and
looking for (help | shortcuts | magic bullets | cosmic insight).  Add that
to the marketing FUD, the various other standards people see every day (for
simpler things but let's not bring facts to the 'I want it' discussion;).
And people wonder if it isn't possible to come up with a 'standard'.  I
don't believe a true rigid standard will work, my network is different from
Paul's and different from yours, my solution will be at least slightly
different.  HOWEVER, I do believe if I saw how you did it and how Paul did
it, it MIGHT save me thinking time.

Oh, and for the record Marcus, we are outbound only, have a DMZ, and
consider the DMZ pre-poisoned whenever feasible.  Handle attachments at the
gateway, use a mix of stateful and level 7 service handlers.  Disallow new
protocol/service requests as a matter of course until a justification is
made.  We DO NOT ALLOW mobile users direct access to the internal network,
they get a VERY few services (like mail) and are on a different logical
subnet with different firewall rules (in fact we export EXACTLY 4 services
to the public and about 6 to mobile users).  We use default deny.  We use a
centralized antivirus install that autoupdates the desktops as patches are
provided by our vendor (about a 10 minutes delay) all automagically, even
nights and weekends.  We use centralized mail services that do SPAM and
attachment handling.  We are small enough that almost all firewall traffic
is logged, certainly ALL inbound traffic is logged.  All logs are
autoscanned via cron each night and a summary is emailed to me and several
others (vacation issue).

SO WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? You've done all the "good stuff"
I can think of!! My guess is your security is probably pretty good,
right?

<sigh> I guess I'm a do gooder ;).  No seriously, it is vested self
interest.  We do OK, but the more of the others I can keep from being
hacked the less I get pounded on.  It IS possible that a virus/worm/#$%^@
may attack my net before the vendor releases the patch or before I apply
it.  Of course, the less it spreads, the fewer of the little devils there
are to attack me, the longer (in theory) I get to cover my network.  The
more everyone tightens up the more bandwidth I get back (less spambots,
worms, virus crud and other denziens of the nightmare).  The more others
audit the quicker idiots get stopped on rev A of the virus instead of rev
ZZZ.  Digging a deaper foxhole only works until you are overrun, I'd like
to help stabilize the line, maybe even go on the offensive.  Hey, my
foxhole is pretty deep but I've come to the conclusion it is only a matter
of time before I'm overrun.  So I'll try something different.

That description you give above is a nice blueprint of a well-secured
network. It's great!! That's how anyone with a clue secures their
network. I bet you survive attacks that whack the stuffing out of
your peers, right? Easily, right?

As much as I'd like to be unique, the number one, most secure, top of the
pile, best in the business guy in the industry, I doubt it.

There is no such thing!! I mean, there's the guys who took
bolt-cutters to their network connections and who epoxy
their CAT-5 cables into the jacks, etc. If you asked them,
they wouldn't tell you they were unique or #1, they'd just
tell you they "solved the problem."   There's always trade-offs
in doing so. Namely connectivity. But connectivity is vastly
overrated. ;)

I tend to
think that if I need information, some other people might like it too, and
probably several hundred people already have it.

Yeah...

 I spend some time each
month keeping up, researching patches/bugs, learning about new tech,
looking at protocols, writing memos on tech, etc.  Any repository that
helps me or helps my admins so I get more time and they still get it right
is an official 'good thing' from my perspective, but maybe I'm unique.

Clueful people have no problem (apparently you haven't, ergo you
must be clueful!) finding the information they need and making
sense out of it. Clueless people aren't going to use the information
even if you chew it up into a palatable mush and squirt it down
their throats the way a mother bird does for its chicks. They are
beyond help. Don't waste your time on them. Tell them to buy
the $100,000 doo-dad and solve the problem (as you have done)
with a little discipline, some attention to detail, and brainpower.

OK, so I have a clue, you have a clue, Paul has a clue, and I'd bet several
others around here have a clue, let's find a way to share.  That's all I'm
recommending.  I think if we don't share now the marketing droids will win
(yeah, OK probably will anyway) and we will get 'standards' then we will
have to battle the standards where they don't make sense (remember
everything tunneled over HTTP anyone :-).  Either way, it's time to share
ammo and concentrate fire, it's a target rich environment and I'm having
trouble choosing some days.  Assuming we can agree to share, the real
problem is what and how do we share.  Any suggestions?  Should it be a new
subject?  Should we forget it (is the list enough)?

--
Dana Nowell     Cornerstone Software Inc.
Voice: 603-595-7480 Fax: 603-882-7313